Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Yep, I can see them. Dragons everywhere. Imagine that.

Recently, I attended a concert.

I say recently, it was three weeks ago, but that's beside the point. 

First off, let me preface this with two things:

1) I don't like concerts. 
I don't like crowds, I don't like my "bubble" being invaded by strangers and I don't usually enjoy the quality of the sound that usually happens  concerts.
I'd much rather listen to the artist's album with a quality pair of headphones.

I also usually won't attend a concert of an artist unless I really, really like them. 

2) Prior to June 6, I was not very familiar with Imagine Dragons. I'd heard what had been on the radio and in ads, but was barely knew their music. Definitely not enough to attend their concert.


Now, back to the purpose of this post. 

The day of the concert, I was not having a good day. I hadn't slept well the night before and I was really tired and generally in a bad mood. And definitely not in the mood to attend a huge concert venue for a band I barely knew.  I usually make decisions based on if I would regret not doing it or not, but this one I had no idea. I wasn't really bothered either way.

I was not in the mood for it and would have pulled out had it not been for the fact that we'd been planning to attend for about four months and, well, it was the day of the concert. 

To pull out so late would have been downright rude. 

And one of my good friends at work said, "Just go. You won't regret it!" So I was going to stick to my commitment. 

We had pretty good seats, so I felt it was promising. Then the opening act came on. 

And it was bad. 

She had talent, but I was completely unfamiliar with her and her music was depressing and weird. I won't say who it was, but it was definitely not a good start. 

The next group, Metric, is more well known, but I am familiar with ONE of theirs songs. It wasn't promising. And their sound balance was really off. Like, painfully off. The band was painfully loud and you could barely hear the singer. 


By this point, I was ready to go wait at the vehicle for the rest of the evening. Just kind of done with it all.

I figured, if Imagine Dragons sound balance was just as bad, I was out. I'd go wait by the vehicle or something. I was on the verge of peace-ing out. 


But then they started.

I didn't know the song, but I loved it. And then I loved the next one. And the next. 

This music, most of which I had never heard, was not only thoroughly enjoyable, it was making me emotional. I don't get emotional. It takes a lot. I have to be really, truly touched or extremely tired.

It may have been the latter. 

But whatever it was, it made up for the rest of my day. I left happy and in a great mood, even though I was still physically exhausted. And it really testified to me the power of good and uplifting music.  

Imagine Dragons is now my go to music choice when I'm not feel then rest of my 8000+ songs on my Itunes. 

I don't feel like I've been able to adequately share how incredible an experience this was for me, but it's hard to put in to words.


It was an incredible and definitely worthwhile experience.  And as my friend said, I didn't regret it.

Not one bit. 





No comments:

www.tips-fb.com

Not always knowing where I'm going, but never, ever lost.